This is an oil demo from a few weeks ago that I never got around to posting until now. The demo was about painting patterned fabrics alla prima in oil. The red cloth was draped over a divider giving it a nice swag drape. Underpainting on this was done in burnt umber, palette for the color portion was alizarin, cadmium red light, yellow ochre, naples yellow, cobalt, burnt umber and titanium white. Beginning with the dark areas of the folds first, I blocked in the darkest shadows using alizarin and burnt umber. Into this, I added some cadmium red light and yellow ochre. For the lightest parts, I used cad red light and naples yellow to create a teracotta-like red. The pattern was applied last, taking care not to allow it to overtake the forms by becoming too busy. In shadow areas, patterns are always less prominent, this is achieved by using less contrast between the values of the shadow and that of the pattern. In the lighter areas, the pattern is more apparent, so more contrast in values is applied.