- Support surfaces:
- Canson or any type of color paper suitable for pastel or charcoal
- Sanded pastel papers such as LaCarte, Art Spectrum, Wallis, U-Art, designed for working in layers, these papers have a tooth that holds the pastel on the surface
- start out with hard pastels then add medium and soft layers
- Begin with a sketch in charcoal to work out composition and values
- Work from dark to medium to light when working with colors
- If you are new to pastels, try working on some simple studies to get used to the medium
- Use complementary colors for shading, try to work with a limite palette
- Stay loose and try not to over blend, let the strokes of the drawing be seen
For next week: I will bring in a still life set up, you are also welcome to bring in photos to work from or your own objects to set up if that is your preference.
Miscellaneous: There are 3 spaces open in this class which runs for 12 weeks, please call the Visual Arts Center at 908-273-9121 if you would like to register.